I've been having several conversations lately that have really got me thinking about quite a few different things.
Extraordinary love does not mean love under extraordinary circumstances. Extraordinary love comes from extra love under ordinary circumstances.
Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.' -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta
1. - there is no such thing as fairy tale endings, and that's just perfect. I'm blessed with seriously the most AMAZING girls as roommates this year, and two of them are currently preparing for the sacrament of marriage. And what a learning experience! It sounds a little weird to say it, but I love listening to them talk, and to realize that being in a relationship that will become a marriage, is not all cute little romantic moments and a storyline right out of a movie. You don't have to have the perfect relationship to have a blessed and fruitful marriage. (Which is HUGE for me, because I'm still guilty of being afraid to mention certain things or talk about certain situations because I'm terribly, deathly afraid of a fight) It's really being there for your person no matter what. Plain and simple. It sounds extraordinarily strange, and maybe even a little bit rude for me to say that I find a lot of comfort in the fact that they've had their fair share of struggles and fights. Even after several angry words and irrational actions, it's still being willing to say 'I love you, but what the hell is going on?'. Letting someone know that you care no matter what, makes all the difference in the world. So dedication my friends, has been occupying my thoughts quite a lot recently.
2. - NOTHING is as simple as it seems. And this isn't a new thought, but it has come up again recently. People have so so so so sooooooooo much more history than they tell 99.999% of the people they encounter, even their friends that they see quite frequently. Everyone has family issues that have shaped them, for better or for worse. Everyone has insecurities. Everyone has struggles and temptations. Everyone has secrets that they are utterly ashamed of and are terrified that someone will find out. Everyone has a deep, spiritual, pensive, beautiful and caring portion of themselves, and everyone has a hidden part of their personality they are dying to reveal to the world. But this is my question that I've been thinking on. Does anyone, regardless of what has happened to them in the past, have the right to be a obnoxious and rude individual? There are a few people (thankfully, a very small number) who I just truly do not care for. We were discussing one such individual tonight, and it was brought up that she had a past, a story, that might explain the way she is. To which myself and a dear roommate of mine said "So what! So do we, that's no excuse..." Don't use someone else's hurtful behavior a reason to hurt an additional person. In my mind, nothing, NOTHING gives one human the right to physically, emotionally, mentally, or spiritually harm another human (unless it is the only means to prevent another greater sort of pain - but I'm getting off topic). And I also believe in my heart of hearts, that no matter what you've been through, yes, it will effect you, and effect you deeply, but there is still no excuse for being a rude individual. What do you think?
3. - I'm realizing more and more, how much I abso-freaking-lutly LOVE being a Catholic. I am so blessed to be following the church that Jesus founded as the continuation of His mission on earth, never to leave it, and always to guide it. I love how the church is so willing to abashedly defend life, and to not be afraid to take a stand and work to end the slaughter of God's most vulnerable - those that the world deems as 'mistakes', 'problems', 'drains on the economy', and 'unwanted.' To assert that ALL human life is made in the image and likeness of God, and that no 'personal right' or 'freedom' entitles any person to kill another. I love the tradition, and the reverence that the Catholic practice entails. I love, love the history, no other church, (with the exception of our Orthodox brother and sisters) can claim to have prayers and liturgy predating the Bible itself - and that it has remained basically unchanged since the death and resurrection of Christ just boggles and blows my mind. The saints - when you feel you're faith is weakening, read the lives of the saints. These were real people, just like you and me, who did amazing and fabulous and wondrous things all because of their love for Christ Jesus. But with all of the saints, and sacraments, and tradition, Jesus still is, and always will be the center, the head, the source and summit of all our belief. Just awesome.

1 comments:
Sooooo I was like, wait, which Katie commented on my blog? Then read your blog and was like "oooooooohhhh!" If the giant pink flower didn't give it away, I don't know what else would. :) God Bless.
Post a Comment